Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tuesday Wrap-Up

Having posted my notes I took from practice earlier, here is everything else I can find including recruiting and post-practice interviews:

  • Gus Malzahn confirmed that the quarterback battle has been narrowed. Kodi and Caudle will get the majority of the reps. Malzahn also noted that Barrett Trotter is not out of the "race" but he just will not receive as many reps. He made sure to note that no quarterback has been named starter or co-starter.
  • Safety Mike McNeil underwent surgery to repair his broken shin on Saturday. Rivals is reporting 6-8 weeks until he has recovered but teammate Mike Slade said 8-10 weeks, being 100% by August camps.
  • I noted that Montez Billings was not in pads. He was at practice in sweats and his jersey. Coach Gene Chizik has attributed this to an academic issue that they are "trying to clear up". I'll try to find out more.
  • The offensive line remains a problem. There are currently only seven healthy scholarship o-linemen which is not many with the pace that our offense runs at.
  • Another thing I noticed were many drops by the receivers today. I counted three drops by Mario Fannin alone, only one of which was contested. Trooper Taylor seems to be good at actually COACHING the receivers and I feel confident in his ability to help this group.
  • Walk-on kicker Chandler Brooks has been hampered by some sort of injury and Wes Byrum has been consistent and has taken back the number one job according to Coach Boulware. In the opening special teams of practice I did not see a missed field goal but Boulware said Byrum was 7 for 8 Tuesday.
  • Boulware noted that Clinton Durst is the leading punter.
  • Coach Gene Chizik has said that Auburn's scoring system for A-Day will be released later this week. The defense can score various points for turnovers, sacks, etc.
  • I know I said recruiting would be in this but I will include recruiting updates in tomorrow's notes.

1 comment:

  1. good god, the offensive line situation is AWFUL!!! there's no way chizik's first season will even be average if they can't fix that.

    ReplyDelete

hit counters